Our membership at Payments Canada includes the Bank of Canada, domestic banks and authorized foreign banks and other deposit taking institutions. The amendments to the Canadian Payments Act in 2001 opened membership to life insurance companies, securities dealers, and money market mutual funds, among others. Payments Canada is funded by its membership, which stood at 111 at the end of 2021.
As a member, access is granted to participate in our payment systems.
Our participants are Mandatory Members (a duty required by the Canadian Payments Act) and Non-Mandatory or Eligible Members. Our mandatory members are all chartered banks operating in Canada and the Bank of Canada. Non-Mandatory or Eligible Members are trust and loan companies, credit union centrals, life insurance companies, and federations of caisses populaires and other deposit-taking institutions.
We engage with our participants informally through regular consultation, and formally through operational committees and our Member Advisory Council (MAC).
Member Advisory Council
MAC is a 20-person council codified in the Canadian Payments Act that serves as a consultative and engagement forum for system participants who are also members of Payments Canada. It is broadly representative of the diversity of our system participants. Members are nominated and appointed by our Board of Directors. Each term runs for three years.
The Council's mandate, set out in the legislation, is to provide counsel and advice to the Board on our clearing and settlement systems, the interaction of those systems with other systems involved in the exchange, clearing or settlement of payments and the development of new technologies.
Members (As of July 2022):
- ATB, Ryan Rabin - Member Advisory Council Vice Chair
- Bank of America, Leslie Konecny
- Bank of Canada, Ian Christensen
- BMO, Derek Vernon - Member Advisory Council Chair
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Chris Sweetland
- Central 1, Sue Whitney
- Citi, John Landry
- Community Trust (formerly Questrade), Christine Day
- HSBC Bank of Canada, Jude Leclerc
- JPMorgan Chase, National Association, Matthew Parker-Jones
- La Fédération des caisses Desjardins du Québec, Martin Tardif
- Laurentian Bank of Canada, Adam Swinemar
- National Bank of Canada, Patrice Roy
- Peoples Trust Company, John Pals
- PNC Bank, Eric Bauer
- Royal Bank of Canada, Lisa Lansdowne-Higgins
- Scotiabank, Dougal Middleton
- TD, Christine Hunter
- Wealthsimple Investments Inc, Hanna Zaidi
- Wells Fargo, Sarah Gainey
Eligibility requirements for Council membership and the yearly nomination process are set out in our General Bylaw and the Administration Bylaw respectively.