Alert: Fraudulent emails impersonating Payments Canada
- Delivery: Email
- Subject line: Payments Canada | Incoming Transaction
- Request: You receive an email indicating it’s from Payments Canada and it has the Payments Canada logo. The perpetrator is asking for funds to be shared in order to elicit a payment to an escrow service. In the "From" field the email address is "firstname.lastname@example.org", which is not a valid Payments Canada domain.
What you should know:
Payments Canada will never reach out to the general public eliciting any sort of payment. This is an email phishing scam. Phishing emails appear to be sent from organizations or personal contacts typically asking for financial or personal information.
What you should do:
- Never open attachments or click on links from suspicious emails.
- If the email appears to be suspicious - even if it comes from a person or organization you know - contact them to verify if it’s legitimate.
- Never provide personal information in an email.
- Please notify us by forwarding the email to email@example.com
- Delete the email.
- If you suspect you’ve been a victim of fraud or notice unauthorized activity on your bank account, please contact your financial institution directly.
For more information on how to protect yourself from phishing emails, please visit: getcybersafe.gc.ca